Icarus 1.6 (free update):
Icarus 1.6 is a major update, which is available for free. It includes new resynthesis modes, additional effects, a better user interface, enhanced sound and many new features. Icarus 1.6 is downward compatible with all previous versions. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis smart pitch snap' drastically enhances the sound quality of the resynthesis function. You can select a WAV file and it automatically creates a synthesizer patch which syncs to BPM.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis of melody' is a new feature. It can import complete phrases or melodies in WAV format. It automatically programs a patch that sounds very similar to the original. It reprograms the melody in the arpeggiator. Furthermore, it creates a wavetable with the harmonic content of the patch. The patches can further be tweaked, time stretched or modified.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Resynthesis with dynamic pitch' can import a wave. It automatically creates a patch which sounds similar to the original one. This mode does analyze the pitch information of the patch and programs the STEP LFO with a pitch envelope.
- IMPORT SAMPLE->'Beat slice drumloop' cuts a sample into 16 or 32 waveforms and creates a patch with plays a BPM synced loop.
- New effect: 'Reverb Gated' which syncs to the BPM rate. It works best for drum sounds or arpeggiators.
- New effect: 'Reverb Gated Echo' is Gated Reverb with a delay which syncs to BPM.
- New effect: 'Reverb Reverse' which syncs to the BPM rate.
- New effect: 'Reverb Decay' which syncs to the BPM rate.
- The patch browser shows a scrollbar if more than 26 categories exist.
- 'Shift notes up' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone up.
- 'Shift notes down' shifts the notes in the arpeggiator one halftone down.
- 'Rotate 1 slot left' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator.
- 'Rotate 1 slot right' rotates the notes in the arpeggiator.
- The morph knob now shows the number of quantized steps.
- The wavetable editor shows a large slider with a grid if modifiers with 'value' are edited.
- Osc->Tool 'Resynthesis smart snap'.
- Wavetable editor->Spectrum->'Sort by brightness' sorts waveforms by their harmonic content. It can be used to create wobbles.
- Wavetable editor->Resynthesis->'Resynthesis smart snap'.
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade in'.
- Wavetable editor->Mix->'Fade out'.
- Wavetable editor->Phase->'Rotate' shifts the phase of all selected waveforms.
- Added some tooltips to the wavetable editor.
- Create a random arpeggiator pattern with TOOL->'Init random octaves'.
- Create a random arpeggiator pattern with fifths with TOOL->'Init random fifths'.
- Create a random arpeggiator pattern with a random interval with TOOL->'Init random interval'.
- 52 additional patches.
- Slightly enhanced sound quality of 'Import Sample'->'Create patch: Resynthesis...'.
- More smart path selection on PC for loading/saving.
- Enhanced performance of some knobs, especially the LFO sends.
- The knobs MORPH, FADE, WAVE, PHASE do not longer switch the LFO.
- A hand symbol is shown for text-style parameters which can be altered with the mouse.
- Enhanced sound of 'Reverb Medium', 'Reverb Real', 'Reverb Trance' especially for small sizes.
- Enhanced sound of 'Formant Cross' morphmode.
- Enhanced sound of 'Vocoder' morphmode.
- Slightly enhanced sound of 'Reverb Big' and 'Reverb Infinity' with reduced low frequency rumble.
- Wavetable editor is more easy and comfortable to use.
- Undo function now also works with arpeggiator, fx tool, matrix tool, eq tool and filter tool menu.
- Reduced a click when routing a saw LFO to WAVE.
- Better default effect settings for Ensemble, Reverb Dark, Delay Fat, Delay Pingpong, Delay Diffuse, Delay Band.
- 'Create random patch' gives better results.
- Modulation depth of knobs could have been incorrect if matrix target was switched.
- Removed wrong up/down arrows in the STEP LFO.
- Fixed a compatibility problem with recording automation in some hosts.
Icarus 1.5 (free update)
The update to v1.5 is a major update, which is available for free. It includes a better user interface, many new synthesis modes, enhanced sound and many new features. Icarus 1.5 is downward compatible with all previous versions. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.
- The engine is now able to do FM synthesis (PM) between oscillators. Select 'FM<-Osc1' as synthesis/morph mode to modulate Osc2 with Osc1
- The synth does now offer classic sample playback. Set the OSC synthesis/morph mode to 'Sample' or 'Sample Loop'. The usual wavetable controls do have no effect in this mode.
- Classic samples can now also easily be imported with IMPORT SAMPLE->'Load a wav sample...'. The sample can be automatically tuned on import.
- The engine is now able to do amplitude modulation between oscillators. Select 'AM<-Osc1' as morph mode to modulate Osc2 with Osc1
- The engine is now able to do Waveshaping between oscillators. Select 'Shape<-Osc1' as synthesis/morph mode to shape Osc1 with the wavform of Osc2
- New effect: 'Delay Wide' is a broad sounding delay with Hi Damp and Low Damp filters
- New effect: 'Stereo Width' allows to spread the panorama from mono to surround
- New exclusive effect: 'Laser Punch' adds additional punch. Use it with a sawtooth to gereate a zzapping 'Rubber Bass' sound
- Icarus_wavetables now contains subdirectories for categories which contain the wavetables
- Submenus provide a more logic structure and better overview
- Tooltips with info are shown when the mouse is hovered over a button or control
- Additional buttons: Previous and next Lfo waveform
- Pitchwheel and Modwheel in the patchbrowser is now animated
- Wavetable position in the wavetable editor is animated if you click on the left keyboard
- The patch browser list shows a checkmark for the currently loaded patch
- In the waveform display the mousewheel can be used to pick a wave
- Mousewheel support for the filter frequency display
- Mousewheel support for the patch selector
- A double click to a knob or slider resets it to the default value
- 'Natural scrolling' support for mousewheel on 64 bit Mac
- Added an undo-button which restores the recent parameter changes
- 43 additional wavetables with over 1000 new waveforms
- Enhanced sound of Reverb Medium, Reverb Big, Reverb Plate, Reverb Glass, Reverb Infinite, Reverb Trance: Less detuned sound, smoother tail and more punchy early reflections
- Enhanced GUI skin
- Larger text for the menus on PC
- FILE->'Create random patch' gives better results
- The 32bit Mac version did not show a line when drag & drop modulation was used
- Fixed a possible crash, when the down arrow is pressed within the patch browser
- The text label for 'HP Analog 12/24 dB' was swapped
- Fixed a crash that could happen if the synth was flooded with midi program change messages
- Fixed a possible crash on opening the GUI
- Knobs did jump if circular mode was forced by the host
- Fixed a crash that happened if 'Create random wavtetable/patch' was pressed when no wavetables were installed
- If OSC volume was set to 0 there was still a very low volume sound emitted
- Fixed a crash of the previous beta where pressing the arrow keys could crash the plugin
- Category is now placed above patch selector
- More aggressive focus for the mousewheel
- 'One Shot' has been renamed to 'One Shot Wave'
- Initializing a new patch sets the LFOs to 'classic trigger mode'
- Reso knob is grey, lfo shape knob is blue
- Resynthesis menu is now called 'import sample'
Icarus 1.1 (free update)
This huge update includes a reworked user interface, a large number of new features and many enhancements. The update is free and 100% downward compatible with v1.0.
- Drag&Drop support: Drag LFO/ENV and drop it to a knob to create a matrix entry for modulation
- Right-click on a knob opens a menu where you can assign modulation sources
- Modulation depth control on top left of a knob if a source is assigned
- Sectors on knobs show the modulation amount. Clipping is shown in red.
- Hovering the mouse over a knob shows the current parameter value and modulation source
- The buttons of OSCs, Filters, LFOs, ENVs, which are inactive are grayed out
- Responsive GUI with Tooltips
- New waveform display mode 'Hypersaw', which shows the detuning of the oscillators
- help->Show version info
- Mouse cursor changes on editing halftones in arp
- Right click on a knob->reset initializes to the default value
- Visual feedback if a button in the wavetable editor is pressed
- TRIG button for the LFO section
- New sync mode for LFOs 'Arp/Lfo soft trig' which re-triggers monophonic LFOs after 1 second of silence
- New sync mode for LFOs 'Arp/Lfo classic trig', which allows the setting of free mode for every LFO individually
- SEMI knob for the OSC section
- New matrix target 'Filter Balance'. It's useful to control the relationship of the filter volumes when two filters are routed in parallel.
- Drawing custom shapes with the STEP Lfo is more comfortable
- Better workflow
- Enhanced performance of the knobs
- Parameters are more easy to adjust
- Patch rankings are only stored when the user clicks on the stars
- Display mode is now 'smart' and tries to auto-detect the right one
- Polished some graphics
- Reduced RAM requirement. More instances can be loaded in 32 bit.
- Many other small enhancements for the user interface
- Quick save is more smart
- Category is rotating for a more comfortable patch browsing
- Workaround for buggy hosts which submit duplicate noteOn commands. The Arp does not longer produce hanging note
- Legato is more easy to setup
- Drag&Drop of a wav sample to the OSC display can now create a new resynthesized patch
- LFOs are more smart
- Mousewheel on Arp notes now selects octaves
- MONO in the LFO section has been replaced with TRIG
- Enhanced automation parameter naming
- On initializing a new patch the default mode is set to 'Arp/Lfo soft trig'
- OSC Punch and OSC Keyfollow button have been moved to SETUP
- Matrix source 'Filter Env' sometimes didn't work
- Removed a glitch from 'Alien Spaceship Mac.fxp'
- The browser of the Mac 64 bit version sometimes did display the stars of the first patch incorrectly
- In the previous beta quicksave was broken
- In the previous beta the vocoder's LFO did not trigger as expected
- Clicking below Vocoder in the wavetable editor did open an abandoned menu