<Back to the Saurus product page
Saurus 3.4 (free update)
Saurus 4.0 (free update)
The update to v4.0 is a major update that is available for free for all Saurus users.
New features - interface:
- GUI with 20 different sizes (with and without keys).
- Native support for WQHD, 4K, 5K and 8K UHD displays.
- GUI can be scaled from 66% up to 300% by clicking in the lower right corner.
- Reworked and enhanced graphics.
- Smoother animations and more responisve controls.
- Support for hardware-acceleration.
- Ultrasharp graphics with enhanced HiDpi and Retina Display support.
- Automatic detection of the ideal GUI size.
- Completely rewritten GUI code.
- More contrast for the LCD displays.
- The animations are faster and smoother.
- Fine-tuned some coordinates in the interface.
- Re-sizing the VST3, Standalone and Audiounit works more reliable.
- Fine-tuned some colors.
- Removed the demo-version timeout and added a voice-over.
- Patch browser can now also be opened by clicking on 'BROWSER' or the display on the upper left.
- A finger is shown when hovering over 'BROWSER' to indicate that the control is click-able.
Enhancements - sound quality:
- The audio-engine now uses 64-bit precision instead of 32-bit, which results in a higher sound-quality.
- Slightly enhanced sound of the automatic micro-tuning.
- Enhanced sound of the Reverb.
- The Vst2 and Vst3 versions are downward compatible with all previous versions
- The Audiounit version is downward compatible with Saurus 3.4 or later
Saurus 3.4 (free update)
The update is available for free for all Saurus users.
Please note that the AudioUnit interface of Saurus 3.4 is not downward compatible.
- Added a VST3 version for Mac (M1 native and Intel).
- Added a standalone version for Mac (M1 native and Intel).
- Completely new AudioUnit interface.
- Several small enhancements.
- Automation in the VST3 version did not work with parameters that were located behind the 10th slot.
- Workaround for a bug of Ableton and FL Studio which did not display AudioUnits.
- Workaround for a bug of Reaper which did display automation parameters incorrectly.
- The AU version of Saurus 3.2 running in M1 mode could occasionally crash.
Please read this if you are on Mac and used AudioUnits.
Saurus 3.2 (free update)
The update is available for free for all Saurus users. It adds native Apple M1 ARM support for Mac.
- AudioUnit version supports M1 native.
- VSTi version supports M1 native.
- Help->'Show version info' displays the mode in which the plugin is running (ARM/Intel).
- Much faster loading times on M1 Macs.
- The native M1 support results in 20% lower CPU use compared to Rosetta2 Mode.
- More responsive GUI on M1 Macs.
- The ideal GUI size is detected automatically.
- Several small enhancements.
- Workaround for the 'unusual' designed audio architecture of FL Studio. It is not longer necessary to enable 'Use fixed size buffers' to avoid crackles.
- Several small compatibility fixes for MacOS 11 and MacOS 12.
- Workaround for Apple's unrelieable AudioUnit validation. It is not longer necessary to reboot the Mac after an installation.
- AudioUnit is now an AUv2 plugin.
- AudioUnit and VSTi are now a Universal Binary for 64bit Intel and M1.
- Apple's development tools are unable to build 32bit Intel binaries when you support M1. Sadly we had to drop support for it.
- Apple's Notarisation and the M1 support requires a MacOS version higher or equal than 10.11. If you still use an older version you must stick with Saurus 3.0.
Saurus 3.1 (free update)
The update to v3.1 is available for free for all Saurus users. It adds a VST3 version several small enhancements for PC.
Saurus 3.1 is downward-compatible with all previous versions. All existing song projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary.
- Added a VST3 version.
- You can select from 3 different installation types: Minimal (VST2 only), Default (VST2 + Standalone) and Full (VST2 + VST3 + Standalone).
- HiDPI support for the VST3 version.
- Osc Noise knob now shows a FM or AM label.
- Osc Mix knob shows a label with mix relationship.
- Longer text labels for some matrix sources.
- Further optimisation to prevent denormalisation.
- More smart detection of VST2 plugins directory.
Saurus 3.0 (free update)
The update to v3.0 is a major update, that is available for free for all Saurus users. It includes a big GUI, a massive number of new sounds, new features, higher sound-quality, better performance and many enhancements.
Saurus3 is downward-compatible with all previous versions. All existing song-projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary.
- A big interface is available beside of the normal scale now.
- Added 192 new sounds from a professional designer. The total number of included sounds has increased to 1022.
- It is possible to select from 4 GUI sizes in 'Config'.
- The synth can create an unlimited number of new sounds with FILE->'Create random patch'.
- 'Soft clip' is available in the 'Config' section.
- A scrollbar is visible in the patch-browser if many soundsets are installed.
- Added detailed tooltips that are shown when the mouse if hovered over a button or list-selector.
- The texts shown in the patch-browser on Mac support hi-dpi drawing.
- The plugin detects the best GUI-size automatically.
- Patch-selector shows a checkmark for the current patch and category.
- Added Digital-Signatures for the installers on PC.
- Added Notarisation for the installers on Mac.
- The texts shown in the patch-browser on Mac support hi-dpi drawing.
- A double-klick on a knob resets it to the default-value.
- New microtuning algorithm that is more subtle and can enhance also complex chords.
- The synth has more 'bottom' and sounds warmer.
- Enhanced sound of Reverb.
- Replaced Chorus with a better one.
- Reworked all factory patches.
- More precise timing.
- More smooth sound of noise.
- Higher sound-quality in 44 khz, 48 khz and 88 khz sample-rate.
- Reworked many graphics.
- Many small enhancements.
- Fonts are easier to read.
- Fine-tuned GUI layout.
- Enhanced mouse-focus and mouse-wheel support on PC.
- OSCs in free-mode have a more punchy sound.
- Midi-learn syncs better when multiple instances are used.
- A warning is shown when Midi-configuration can't be stored because of write-protected files.
- More accurate modeling of the tuning in mono-modes.
- Updated some links.
- 32-bit on PC is not longer supported. If you still use a 32-bit host, install Saurus 2.6 instead.
- 'Gate' has been rename to 'Step'.
- Renamed 'Tutorial' patch-category to 'Templates'.
- Demo-version contains now all sounds.
- Workaround for the badly designed architecture of FL Studio. It is not longer necessary to enable 'Use fixed size buffers' to avoid crackles.
- Workaround for a bug in Apple's AU-validation in Big Sur and Catalina. It is not longer necessary to reboot the Mac to detect the AudioUnit.
- Fix for Apple's recently altered 'Dark Mode' in Big Sur. It displayed unreadable tooltips with white text on yellow background.
- Workaround for a bug of Big Sur. The diodes were not updated when a selector-button was pressed.
- Fixed a crash that could happen if filter-type is automated.
Installation note on the Mac if you upgrade from a previous version:
The directory of some patches has changed since they have been re-categorized and enhanced. To avoid duplicates it is recommended delete 'Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Saurus_sounds' before you install Saurus3.
Saurus 2.6 (free update)
The update to v2.6 is available for free for all Saurus users. Saurus 2.6 is downward-compatible with all previous versions. All existing song-projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound-quality.
- Tooltips and Drag&Drop info can be hidden in the config section
- Added Digital Signatures for the installers on PC
- Added Notarisation for the installers on Mac
- Support for Code-Signing on the Mac, since newer hosts may require it to be able to run plugins
- Compatibility with MacOS Catalina
- Completely new AudioUnit interface
- A double-click on a knob resets in to the default value (Mac)
- PC and Mac version are loading faster
- Chorus sounds smoother
- Delay and PingPong sound more harmonic
- Tube-distortion is more clear and supports oversampling
- Menus are bigger
- Check-marks in the list-selectors show the currently selected item
- Workaround for a well-known bug in Apple's AU-manager: It is not longer necessary to reboot the Mac to detect the plugin
- Better compatibility with Windows 10
- Several small enhancements in the GUI
- Slightly warmer sound
- Saurus.pdf and .cfg files are not longer stored in plugin-directory
- SaurusLog.txt is not longer created (Mac)
New features and enhancements (standalone-version for PC):
- Added a recorder that can export your jam-session to a wav-file
- The BPM-rate can be changed
- Added a soft-clipping-algorithm with low harmonic distortion
- The current patch can be saved on exit and is reloaded automatically on start
- MME-driver support
- Midi-through support with output-routing
- Added Midi-velocity-curves with multipoint-splines
- Optional Midi-transposition with up to +-48 semitones
- Optional Midi-channel-filtering
- The current BPM-rate, CPU-load and volume is shown on the top-panel
- Tooltips are shown on the top-panel
- Lower latency for the sound-card drivers
- More responsive GUI with 120 Hz refresh-rate for smooth knob movements
- Fixed a compatibility problem with some hosts where automation was not recorded correctly
- Fixed a possible crash on loading the GUI
- Cubase did display an incorrect plugin-version
- Fixed two rarely appearing crashes on FL Studio Mac
- Fixed a rarely appearing problem when envelope-parameters were not updated correctly
- Fixed a rarely appearing crash in Reaper when ESC was pressed while a tooltip was shown
- Fixed a problem where the demo could output garbage after the time has been running out
- Fixed a bug where low frequencies were missing in the left channel
- 32 bit on Mac is not longer supported. If you still use it, install Saurus 2.5 instead.
- MacOS 10.7 is the minimum requirement now. If you use 10.6 or 10.5, install Saurus 2.5 instead.
Saurus 2.5 (free update)
The update to v2.5 is a major update, which is available for free for all Saurus2 users.
Saurus 2.5 is downward-compatible with all previous versions. All existing song-projects and patches can be loaded without any further steps necessary. They will benefit from the enhanced sound quality.
- Drag & Drop modulation: Drag an envelope or lfo and drop it to a knob to modulate it
- Midi learn support: Right-click on a knob to assign or remove a CC
- Right-click on a knob opens a menu where you can assign a massive amount of modulation sources
- Hovering the mouse over a knob shows a box with information
- Modulation depth control on top left of a knob if a source is assigned
- Sectors on knobs show the modulation amount
- A red sector is shown when clipping of modulation occurs
- File->'Show version info' shows the version number of Saurus
- Right-click on a knob and 'reset' resets a knob to the default value
- File->'reset midi learn' removes all CC assignments
- File->'Clean matrix' cleans up the mod matrix and resets unused slots
- Right-click on a knob and 'remove modulation' removes all assigned mod sources
- Tooltips are shown when the mouse is hovered over a button
- More beautiful background skin
- Enhanced sound of the Reverb: Less detuned sound and more beautiful early reflections
- Enhanced sound of the PingPong delay: Added a lowCut filter
- Enhanced sound of the Delay: No more detuning and a more wide sound
- Enhanced sound of microtuning
- Better sound quality: New high-end resampling algorithm
- More bass and warmer sound
- More linear frequency response in 'linear mode'
- Faster Volume Envelope for more punch
- Saurus v2.5 'fits better to the mix'
- New knobs with enhanced performance
- Parameters are more easy to adjust
- Patch rankings are now stored as .rnk files within Saurus_sounds
- Fat Unison is more easy to setup
- More 'bottom' if a new patch is initialized
- Texts are more easy to read
- Activation dialogue is now also available in German language
- Faster loading of 32bit PC version
- More robustness
- Faster patch loading
- Lower CPU on Mac
- Better compatibility with Fruity Loops
- Matrix source 'random' did not work in legato mode
- It is not longer possible to click on the VU diodes
- Fixed a very unlikely but possible crash
- Enhanced sound quality because the synthesis engine has been completely reworked
- Over 260 additonal patches
- Completely reworked all existing factory patches
- Added a comfortable patch browser
- Much more detailed emulation of the 'analog' sound. The degree of analog behaviour is now selectable.
- Enhanced graphics
- More comfortable user interface
- A huge number of further new features and enhancements
- Saurus2 is 100% downward compatible with all previous versions
- Added a comfortable patch browser with a keyboard which can be opened by clicking 'BROWSE'
- Added a 'Config' menu which allows to set the degree of analog behaviour
- Additional LowCut equalizer
- Additional HighCut equalizer
- Added a new play mode 'Stack' which plays the autochord defined in 'Arp Key Mode'
- 14 additional 'Sine' LFOs as matrix source
- 4 additonal chord modes which play thirds for the arpeggiator
- The patches can be ranked by clicking on the stars in the patchbrowser
- Keyboard can be hidden with 'Config->hide keyboard'
- The degree of analog noise modeling can be selected between 'none' and 'extreme'
- The degree of analog drift can be selected between 'light' and 'extreme'
- Added a smart microtuning algorithm. 'Fat tune' delivers more harmonic and transparent chords.
- The degree of analog saturation can be selected between 'linear' and 'extreme'
- The degree of analog OSCs damping can be selected between 'light damp' and 'heavy'
- An analog sounding default patch can be initialized with 'File->Init analog patch'
- A digital sounding default patch can be initialized with 'File->Init digital patch'
- Modwheel and pitchwheel are auto-assigned on patch initialisation
- The OSCs and filters can emulate the noise created by analog circuits
- The OSCs can emulate the saturation of analog amplifliers
- The voices and filters can emulate drift and voice detuning
- Replaced oscillators with more 'analog' sounding ones
- Boost mode sounds more 'analog' and smooth
- Replaced Reverb with a better sounding algorithm
- More accurate high frequencies of 'Delay' and 'PingPong' effect
- More 'analog' behaviour of 'drift'
Enhanced GUI & interface:
- Information about the current patch is shown in 'info' tab of the patch browser
- Rendering with ambient occlusion for a more realistic look
- More comfortable saving of patches on PC
- LCD displays have more contrast and are more easy to read
- Keyboard is now animated
- Added mouseover support: Parameter values are displayed when mouse is hovered over them
- Mousewheel support (if host supports it)
- Mac version now also supports waveform selection by clicking on diodes
- Better host compatibility
- More robustness
- More comfortable installer